July 13, 2015

R.I.P. Satoru Iwata-san (1959-2015)

Satoru Iwata
Photo credit: Nintendo of America

Today is a very sad day for video game industry and all gamers around the world…

I was just arrived at my office this morning when in my Twitter feed I saw news of 岩田聡 (Satoru Iwata), the current President of Nintendo has passed away. At first I thought it was a joke. I mean, even though he was hospitalized and absent from the last two E3, he is only 55 years old, right? Then I saw the official press release from Nintendo and tears started to rolling down my eyes. I used to think it was silly shedding tears for a celebrity or someone who we did not know personally, but now I know that feeling. This is the first time I was really shocked and saddened of a death of someone I have never met :'(

I have massive respects for this person because he was one of the legends in the game industry along with late 山内溥 (Hiroshi Yamauchi) and his team at Nintendo, such as 宮本茂 (Shigeru Miyamoto) and 桜井政博 (Masahiro Sakurai). Unlike many CEO out there who are just a businessman without a proper background related to the industry, his career was started from the bottom as programmer at HAL研究所 (HAL Kenkyuujo, HAL Laboratory) making 星のカービィ (Hoshi no Kirby, Kirby’s Dream Land), MOTHER (Earthbound Beginnings), and バルーンファイト (Balloon Fight). Also without him, ポケットモンスター (Pocket Monster, Pokemon) and 大乱闘スマッシュブラザーズ (Dairantou Smash Brothers, Super Smash Bros.) series would not exist at all. For those of you who want to know more about his idea on gaming industry, IGN has an article of his keynote transcript at GDC 2005. It is a long read but very interesting.

In my eyes, Iwata-san is a very nice and humble person. Every time he showed up in a conference or Nintendo Direct or in his interview site Iwata Asks, he always speaks in very polite language. And remember last year when he cut his salary in half because he refuse to lay-off his employees from the result of the Wii U dismal sales? That was amazing and not many people can do that.

Then today, all gamers together with the video game industry are taking a moment to show our condolences and appreciation for Iwata-san. All the console wars and gaming trash talk has stopped temporarily to honored him.

Below are some response in Twitter from video game industry:

















Below are some amazing tribute in Twitter from gamers. Wow, reading these is making me extremely sad but happy at the same time:


















As for me, there are no words that can express my thanks to Iwata-san. He is not only made my childhood, but also made what I am today. :')

岩田社長、ありがとうございます。ご冥福をお祈りします。

No comments:

Post a Comment